Responsibilities in the Academic Advising Process
- Advise students about academic requirements and selection of courses
- Disseminate information on institutional policies and procedures
- Know graduation requirements
- Assist students with career planning
- Monitor student registration activities and recommend solutions to academic difficulties
- Maintain frequent contact with advisees
- Coordinate communications to the students regarding such things as registration and academic probation (e.g., via email, social networks, etc)
- Refer students to the appropriate specialized staff for such issues as comprehensive counseling, financial assistance, study abroad, etc.
- Participate in the development, implementation, review, presentation, and revision of orientations for first-time college students and transfer students
- Stay abreast of changing institutional information including admissions requirements, new programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in college-wide initiatives, transfer requirements.
- Develop advising materials and presentations to support individual and group student